Thursday, May 21, 2009

Hot... extremely hot!

By Bogdan Radu
http://bogdanradu.wordpress.com/

The title unfortunately refers to the Karachi weather in these last days, days of torture and pain, of sweat and sleep deprivation. When I arrived in Pakistan the transition was from 0′-10′ Celsius back in Romania to 25′-30′ Celsius and still I thought it was hot… I was wrong, way wrong. 30′ C is a reasonable temperature, even cozy compared to the genocide that is happening right now.

The temperature reaches 40′-45′ C on a daily basis, but still this is not all. Combine that temperature with an humidity index of 80% here in Karachi and it will result in a heat parameter of 50′-55′ Celsius – meaning that this is the actual temperature your body is feeling (Heat index). As you can see, since I started to experience such an extreme weather I started to become more updated with Meteorology as a science, otherwise a mystery to me.

I have AC at work so the office is quite pleasant, it’s like heaven compared with the outside hell; at home my room is “equipped” with a ceiling fan which makes the living there somehow bearable but thanks to the KESC – Karachi Electrical Supply Corporation the power goes off 4 to 5 times a day (1 hour each time). This kind of unhealthy jokes coming from KESC transforms my room into a huge oven, wakes me up in the middle of the night and even gets people out of their houses into the streets, on the roofs so they can have a good sleep at night (the picture is pretty revealing for this issue) transforming the sidewalks into huge open-air dorms.


Hot… extremely hot. I don’t even want to get into the mosquitoes discussion.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Ah I don't even want to think about it. I don't know what i will do when I am there. The picture is for real? people r sleeping on sidewalks? :s Damn, KESC should review it's stupid policies of electriciy saving.

12:16 PM  
Blogger Laura Jungmann said...

oh I know....
Lahori weather is also bombtasticlly hot...I wake up during our wonderful WAPDA powercuts completly covered in sweat and mosquito bites...
uffffff.
x

2:49 PM  
Blogger Katerina said...

Energy minister promised that power cuts would stop by the end of the year.

Nice to know na? Lets see :-)

9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home