My Favorite Intern
Since June 2008, I’ve been living in
We are all from different countries: big and small; cold and hot; with the sea and not; located close by and far far away:
As I mentioned before, we all live in the same house, have fun together, and got to know each other quite well.
And this is just the house. When you go on the street, people are staring at you, taxi drivers rip off, then you suddenly notice that the nice cocktail shake in the street restaurant last night left you with a diarrhea for entire week; and it is so hot outside that you completely loose your mind.
Luckily, most of all internships are interesting, so work takes time and helps in general satisfaction, but again, you will get your portion of cultural shocks at the office as well.
I will let alone all cultural differences that you face living with people from 10 countries in the same house.
So now you can realize what kind of challenge you take when coming to
Working in MC, I am interacting with all interns coming to
It started about 2 months back, when my flat mates asked me: “So Katya, who is your favorite intern?” I didn’t think of this question before and really liked it. So I really started to think – what kind of behavior I adore. This is how I came up with my criteria for a favorite intern.
“My favorite intern” should have the following 5 characteristics:
- Stay positive even when facing a difficult situation (e.g. at work), and do not complain all the time. It doesn’t mean that the person should not talk about these things at all – the point is to be solution-oriented and making steps to make situation better.
- Be independent enough to organize his/her own time if needed (e.g. during weekend)
- Respect house rules (make payments to the house pot, clean dishes, not to break things etc.)
- Make time to socialize with other people in the house
- Contribute to the well-being of others: e.g. sometimes to cook food for everyone, invite others to interesting places, share washing powder and milk, crack funny jokes etc.
Who do you think is my favorite intern? Feel free to have your say! (Please vote only if you know these people).